Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Birth of Grayson DaSilva Ferrante

These are one of those blogs that if you care to read, go right on ahead, but I'm more writing for my own records! This is the story of the birth of Grayson DaSilva Ferrante.

It was Friday, July 31, 2009 around 1:00 p.m. My sister Fawne arrives at my house. She lives in Salisbury, Maryland and was getting anxious for the arrival of Grayson. She was lined up to watch Weston while I labored and delivered. Even though the date was still to be determined, she decided it was time to get into place in case anything happened. I wake up from my nap around 2:00 p.m. and am informed that we will be going to the mall to walk around and see if we can get contractions started. I've been walking everyday for about 2 weeks now and nothing, so I'm thinking this is definitely not going to be any different. We go to the mall around 3:30 p.m. and walk around for about 2 hours. On our way out, I begin to have contractions (a little after 5:30 p.m.) every 5 minutes pretty consistently. Of course I'm thinking, been here-done that, these contractions are going to stop! After an hour, they are still going strong every 5 minutes. Time to call the doctor right? No, I figure they are still going to stop so I continue to just sit around, wanting to eat dinner and put Weston to sleep for the night. Around 8:30 p.m. MIke and I put Weston down for bed and I decide that since I've now been contracting 5 minutes apart for the past 3 hours, it's time to call the doctor. I call and am told to go to labor and delivery. After doing some last minute things around the house, Mike and I head to the hospital around 9:30ish. We get to the hospital around 10:30 p.m., get check in and wait to be assessed. Once in the assessment room, my contractions started getting closer and more intense. The nurse checking me in didn't really seem very sure that I would be staying however. Finally, another nurse came in and checked my cervix. Lo and behold I was almost 8 centimeters dilated! I was told that they were going to have me walk, but that is now out of the question, so is breaking my water in the assessment room for fear that I would have the baby in there! I get put in a room by 11:15 p.m. The doctor comes in soon after and breaks my water. From there the contractions really get going.

Meanwhile, my dad and stepmom are on their way up from their new house in Luray, Virginia. It's clear that they are not going to make it for the birth so my dad calls my sister, who is staying at my house, and asks her to find a way to make it to the hospital. So Fawne calls Meredith, my sister-in-law and has her come stay with Weston while she comes to the hospital. So Fawne arrives at the hospital and calls into the room at 12:29 a.m. At this time they are putting me in stirrups, getting ready to push. My mother-in-law goes and gets my sister from the waiting room. They come back, Fawne grabs and leg and I start pushing. At 12:34 (1-2-3-4!) Grayson DaSilva Ferrante is born! They gave him right to me! It was awesome! This did not happen with Weston so I was totally excited that I got to hold my baby right away this time! He was 8 lbs, 3 oz and 21 inches long. There was a little water in lungs from being born so fast, but they were able to get that out right away! His apgar was 9 and 9. It only took the doctor about 15 minutes to sew me up. I tore just a little on the inside and a little on the outside. The inside tear was because Grayson's hand came out with his head! After being sewn up, I was able to nurse Gray and he did wonderful! I also had elected to do this birth natural just as I did with Weston. I think it went much better this time since I didn't have to have pitocin.

So that's the story of how Grayson was born! It was quick and one of a kind experience! I'm very glad to have here healthy and happy! Weston absolutely loves his little brother. Everytime he sees him he wants to kiss him a million times. It's adorable! I love my boys and am happy to know that my family is now complete! God has blessed me so greatly and I couldn't be more grateful. I know this next year has trials waiting but I am going to be full of prayer and ready to take it on. I know there will be good days and bad days but I am so excited to watch my two boys grow up!

No comments: